Friday, May 01, 2009

Natural Living

I've really been taking steps toward living a more natural life. I used to slather on lotion, makeup, hair gel, etc. The result wasn't spectacular. About 6 months ago, I started using a loofah every day, and then putting coconut oil on my body instead of lotion. Amazing results! My skin is soft, and the little bumps that have resided on my arms my ENTIRE life have gone away. Awesome. Last week at the farmer's market I picked up some natural oil with rose, jasmine, and sandalwood. I mixed it into my coconut oil, and now I smell like heaven. Seriously people-heaven! Next time you see me, smell me. You'll see. Also included in the natural switch are deodorant, soap and conditioner. And I've mostly been skipping makeup. Not because I don't like it, but because my skin looks better than it used to, and the less makeup I wear, the better my skin looks. Oh-and instead of moisturizer for my face, I use rose oil with water in a spray bottle.

The closer I get to the earth, the happier I am. And, I've never looked or smelled better.

Think about this-there are lots of medicines that come in patch form. That tells me that our skin is entirely capable of absorbing anything we put on our bodies. So why put all kinds of fake chemical nonsense on there?

I think the incredible surge in cancer is mostly caused by all of the unnatural things we do to our bodies daily. Our bodies want to be healthy, but we don't give them what they need. We have to start thinking of food as fuel for our bodies.

Doctors are required to take 2 nutrition classes. Then, for the rest of their lives, they are bombarded by drug companies. It's no wonder that they don't often address the fuel we give our bodies...they just want to medicate.

I hold that if we think of food as medicine, we would all be fine. That doesn't mean it has to taste bad. It just means that ho-hos and oreos and splenda and soda probably aren't the best choice.

I tend to cook meals like this: Corn on the cob and pork chops grilled outside with a salad (from the Farmer's Market). Or lightly marinated chicken breasts grilled with zucchini and asparagus with a slice of fresh bread.

This is the way I see it:
Natural veggies=good
Meat=good
Bread=tasty, but in small quantities
Dairy=awesome if it is organic
Packaged stuff=usually bad
Anything with ingredients I can't pronounce=not food.
Vitamins=unnecessary if you eat right
Soda=Delicious, but of the devil.
Sweets=good. But only if I make them from scratch. Otherwise, they fall into the category of things I can't pronounce. But I will never turn down some cake from scratch.

I didn't mean to sound so preachy...I'm totally not a preachy kind of person. You eat whatever you want. My only point here is that the more natural I go, the more incredible I feel.

No comments: